I received one of the remaining units Friday, after missing all the fun since the end of L-band and no longer being able to resist temptation.Thanks, Syed for the quick shipping. It’s a shame that USPS 2 Day Priority Mail from Chicago isn’t quite as efficient, taking 5 days, but that’s another matter!
Was able to quickly get it up and running using a conduit clamp lag bolted to a 2 X 4 block, which was bolted on top of a 2 X 4 post with one centered lag bolt. This allowed simple adjustment for azmulth and elevation. It was immediately apparent that the bare LNB does not provide sufficient signal at my location. I’m the balloon in the Southeast corner of NC. Only able to get SNR of about 15.5 - 16, I made a very rough cone about 6 inches long and probably 4 inches on the large end from a piece of aluminum mesh from the junk box. This gained a couple of dB and I was able to get very limited reception.
Yesterday I purchased some 1/4” hardware cloth and attempted a proper cone. After a little frustration, I decided on the square design seen in earlier posts. Thinking bigger is better, I used 5” X 2 1/4” X 9” as the size. Accurate aiming does appear critical. SNR does vary a bit, currently 9.25 - 11.5 but sometimes drops a little. May have to tweak a little more. My balloon is green most of the time. I have an old dish, but refused the urge to use it, as we know it will work. I’ve attached a picture of my cone/mount. It’s feeding the unit inside my garage through 15 meters of RG6. Having the unit directly at the LNB did not make any difference in performance. I also have a clear view of the sat between trees.
This appears to be a workable Outernet solution, just not with a bare LNB. But I am located on the outer edge, with coverage maps showing only a 48 dBW EIRP in my area.
(Edited to add last sentence.)