I decided to attempt a home made antenna, with the requirement that I had to use whatever I could find in the garage and junk box.
After Googling the dimensions for a proper helix, I had a tough time finding anything the right diameter to support the wire and then discovered an old paint roller was the right size. Used the bottom of an old foil pan for the reflector. It was too flimsy, so I used some spray adhesive to attach it to hard cardboard for support. Used an old SMA male to male coupler by cutting one of the nuts off, pushing it through the cardboard, and soldering the center conductor to the wire. Made sure the outside made a good connection with the foil pan. Then I used hot glue to keep it all together. The wire was stiff enough that it stayed in place on the roller with no help.
The piece of wire that I used, which was already cut, resulted in six turns with the last 1 1/2 extending past the end of the paint roller. It's not perfect, but I was getting a 6+SNR with a spare E4000 dongle and NooElec LNA which I have not tested with a proper patch antenna. That was also while trying to aim through openings between trees and branches.
I had to try. It's not pretty, but it works! Junk box engineering succeeded. But, my second Outernet Patch Antenna should arrive tomorrow anyway. The patch is much easier to aim.