Increasing Gain with 15-degree Cone

How does it perform? Ken

I’ll get some numbers, with and without, when I get a chance. But my balloons appear to be staying green and I’m showing 100% valid packets, bitrate 20098, with SNR averaging about -11.5, although it’s naturally up an down a little.

My numbers with my rough cup as above,100% valid packets, bitrate 20098, with SNR averaging about -11.5. I removed it a few minutes ago and the results with the bare LNB were: SNR -14, Bitrate 11762, Valid packets 95%. This was much better than when I first set things up a couple of months ago, and the first time I had tried the bare LNB since the recent improvements made in the signal. It appears my cup was only helping about 2.5 dB, but I guess that’s not bad for the ease of build and price.

I’ve gone back to my earlier oversize 5” X 2 1/4” X 9” square cone or horn which I posted about originally. It’s currently giving me: SNR -7, Bitrate 20140, Valid packets 100%. Now, just to find a way to make it portable!

IMG_1430

Interesting - - when I made my first 8x4x2 " cone, I put the aluminum foil on the outside, then reversed it so the aluminum foil was on the inside and got better results. I’m wondering if you put the tape (aluminum duct tape I presume) on the inside if it would work better. Perhaps the Styrofoam is acting as a dielectric?

I really like your garden mesh horn antenna because of its durability and wind resistance. Ken

Simple drawing of cone extension placed over LNB plastic case.

Cone_Extension_Plastic.pdf (587.4 KB)

Drawing of cone extension placed over LNB with plastic case removed.

Cone_Extension_no_Plastic.pdf (261.9 KB)

Syed, if we did something with these dimensions in a horn design, the horn could be removed for transport and folded up. If I mounted it on my Lantern case, it wouldn’t protrude too far either. Ken

PS - - I have a collapsible jumbo steel water mug coming which I will try. It is very close to your new measurements which I ordered after I saw your first post. Time will tell if the spec is right, and it performs as I like.

I don’t think it could be folded up. This is a rolled cone. But it’s not super big.

What is Outernet iteration 3 going to be? Is it a portable unit with a bare LNB or is it going to be a fixed some-what portable unit with a KONE (K-Band On-top Noise Eliminator) enhancer or dish?

Or will it have in the future, a new antenna that is flat and OMNI?

In the third world it has to be cheap, strong and simple.

Here is my monday morning idea, With the recent signal reception improvements, and a reduced cone dimensional requirement, How about a package with multiple receive cones bundled into say a 12" box. Then allow the magic of electronics figure out which is pointed best to get a signal. Ultimately this would make pointing of a fixed station easier, and more tolerance for a moving ground station.

I agree that would be simple. I think this was discussed a month ago. Possible 4 cones might be enough etc.

Remember cheap, strong and simple.

Elizabethan collars for pets have splits and a tab alao you.could ad a beveled lip as a welding or glue point for metal…

alao whata the top, middle, and bottom hight of said cone… i have a few thia to try…