I have had my DIY kit for about two weeks. Other than some minor problems I had flashing the new OS, everything has been smoothly operating. I actually had it propped up on my kitchen counter looking out a window and was running consistent 6-7 SNR, but it was a pain in the back side, working around it. I decided to mount it properly.
Basically I found a nearly clear plastic storage container which was large enough to accommodate everything. To mount the antenna, I first removed the two nylon screws that go all the way through the antenna and replaced them with longer nylon screws and used an additional pair of nylon nuts to complete the antenna mounting. I gobbed some silicone sealer around the screws to prevent water leaks.
Next I constructed a gimbol mount which allowed precise aiming. I made it from 1" x 1/16" steel strap, did the bending and hole drilling and was ready to mount everything up.
When I built my house, I made certain the house was oriented north-south since I also use solar power and wanted a “southern” exposure, which came in handy mounting the Outernet receiver. Using a compass and protractor, I adjusted the heading and the tilt according to the specifics I found online for the INMARSAT 4-F3. I then used a 2.5amp power supply (from a Raspberry Pi project) to power the receiver. I really like this power supply since it comes with a ferrite core in-line with the power cable.
Once I got everything aligned and the wing nuts good and tight I was pleased to see the increase in my SNR.