RF product - moRFeus - frequency converter and signal generator

@LamaBleu thank you for being a great tester!

Also thank you, we are on the same boat: the only difference is you speak python when I speak bash :smile:

Check this out… You guys are famous!
RTL-SDR article

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Yes we know for the article :wink: we know we are famous also :rofl:

In the meantime I pushed two hours ago the latest release on my github repository .
It’s well tested on Linux, RPi platforms with automatic install.
No plan to add more feature at this moment, reached my goal.

Edit 26/04 : once again we have an article about moRFeus on rtl-sdr.com blog . And as usual Ohan and myself are sharing the same post :wink:

Installs and runs nicely on 64-bit Linux Mint. Thanks!

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Howdy

Ive update the repo again :slight_smile:

I’ve packaged the tool and will upload the dist to PyPi once the servers are back online.

The tool should work on all platforms, unfortunately I don’t have a Mac to test.

Installation has also been simplified a lot.

Cheers

^____^

The windows instructions seem a little problematic;

I got windows python 3.6.5 shell emulator installed,

the link for qt4 is broken, I used https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyqt/files/PyQt4/PyQt-4.11.4/

but it wants python 3.4… still troubleshooting.

Update: using windows “debian” I seem to able to proceed with the linux install instructions
use lower case python3-pyqt4 for the debian respository

For the next 24hrs, you can access the live demo of moRFeus_GUI in real situation : installed on Raspberry Pi3 , moRFeus device running, and link established to GQRX running in background (but not playing).

From a linux computer (running X-session, not from ssh console) run from terminal console :

ssh -XC -p 4066 moRFeus\aat\adsb/d0t/lamableu/d0t/net

(from the above line you have to replace \aat\ by @ and /d0t/ by you know what )
answer ‘yes’ to the SSH security question and password is Outernet (with O = upper case).

Note 1 : running from remote location (with my poor upload b/w) will bring latency, and it works faster in real situation.

Note 2: I don’t know if 2 or more people can connect at the same time ! Take a ticket if busy, thanks.

Note 3: Windows users I’m sorry but you have to install third-party software :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I remember Xming can do it.

High

You are welcome to use the windows binary :slight_smile:

The links are provided for python 3.6 :

Download PyQt4`
[EDIT]
My bad,that link expired.

Here is the page for PyQt : https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

Please search PyQt4 :

that installs with pip3 install --user PyQt4-4.11.4-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl

Thanks for the report

Ohan

Good morning chaps

I yesterday got a Mac book pro to play with…

The cython hidapi that I am using in my tool, should work on Mac OS along with a upgraded Qt from v4 - v5.

[EDIT]

The API works on Mac :sunny: :nerd_face:

I am in the process of implementing the required steps and UI to make it go.

Huzzah

Ohan

I also finished my python implementation. It’s not a wrapper for the binaries provided by Abhishek, it uses the hid library available for Mac, Linux and Win (Installing the library can be a pain though). It has all the functionality the original binaries has plus a sweeper function. The program has been tested on MAC with High Sierra. It should work on Windows too if you add an additional byte when sending the command to the device. Haven’t tested it on Linux, (maybe someone can do that?). My motivation was that I could do much faster sweeps than with a shell script, but unfortunately the device needs quite a lot of time to set the frequency. Imagine what you could do with a fast conversation time (FSK etc).

To Do: Starting it via command line parameters.

I am a lousy coder, so be lenient :slight_smile:

You can download it here: moRFeus.py

Correct - the PLL has to re-lock for each frequency, so fast frequency switches are not possible.

I will use my ARBitrary function generator to make my FM, my sweeps, etc. and use moRFeus as a mixer to bring it up to microwave. I will let moRFeus do the coarse tuning. That will all work fine from there.

–Konrad, WA4OSH

Hi Bruno,
Your code looks very clear :clap:
I tried to run your script on RPi, but also stuck with HID error message. I’m still unlucky with HID on RPi.
FYI I’m using PyUSB module on RPi. Works well. Example for morse_code.py
Tomorrow I’ll try to reinstall Ohan’s GUI and your script on a fresh SDRAM (like every 3 days.)

HI, we all know moRFeus is not designed for fast sweeping ! It’s a single carrier, not modulated. And I’m sure the LCD may also slower the process :wink:
That’s why staying with official tools seems enough for me.
And keep in my mind you have to take “samples” during a “not-so-short” period time if you want to get accurate value of the signal sent by moRFeus.

Howdy

So i made some major overhauls.

The process of installation and use has been simplified tenfold.

It also just works on a Mac

So that’s all major platforms that can now effortlessly talk to moRFeus.

Regards

Ohan

Hi guys (and girls), summer time here but great moRFeus workshop last night (and the hight before) !
Using moRFeus generator as RF source to test devices. Result seems coherent.

Setup : moRFeus as step-generator sync to GQRX. Grabing signal level from GQRX through remote control. Step is 1MHz, duration 20 minutes… Then generate CSV file, and
plot it using GNUplot. Bash and GNUplot only.

Edit 08-june : : rtl-sdr.com blog published yesterday a very nice and detailed article explaining step by step how to measure filters and antenna performances with moRFeus running as generator.

you made a cheap scalar analyzer if I’m right, really nice! :+1::sunglasses:

Hi, just a quick update, seems we have newcomers on moRFeus/Outernet world (even from my area), welcome :grinning:

I released few days ago moRFeus_listener on github. I have to say it was initially scheduled for next 18th of June :wink:

Hard to describe in few words… let’s say it’s a basic CLI to control moRFeus from shell or remotely from network using a telnet connection. Several connection allowed at the same time.
Here in my place moRFeus-listener is running on background on my RPi and I can control moRFeus from my other computers, or using scripting.

Live (and quick) preview on real moRFeus device : telnet morfeus.lamableu.net port 7778
moRFeus status : http://morfeus.lamableu.net:7780

Just 400 lines of code, including readme.txt
Enjoy.

On mode 1,it tried to enter thé following frequency:5760MHZ
And I got :Frequency out of range
What is the real frequency range of MorFeus as frequency generator mode ?

LO Frequency: 85MHz–5400MHz